Friday 17 March 2017


                                                                THIS is a Mind map !


When I First started mind mapping I was so excited that I approached various institutional heads about mind mapping.
I was  often asked ,"What is a mind map "?
I immediately would show them a mind map and say ," THIS is a mind map ."

I was  often told ," Oh ! We know all about Mind mapping .It is simple .What is there in it ?"
We have been doing it since school !
I would show them this mind map ,autographed by the One and only Tony Buzan
They said  ," O yes yes ! We make them just like this  .
Anything else ?
Stumped , I would ask them to show me their mind maps  for which they would take an inordinately long time to locate them .When they did locate one , they were  far from my mind maps.
And their enthusiasm level was way below that which mind mappers posses.
Surprisingly twelve out of the fourteen institutional heads were women.
I am still trying to research this .
For whom is it meant ?
Here again I am stumped .My lack of communication skill.
When I read Tony Buzan's books in 2008 -2010 ,it never occurred to me as to whom it was meant for. I realized that if I had  come across this when I was a medical student I would definitely have fared better .
When you see an apple you eat it .
You do not like a philosopher ponder over it and ask questions .
Mind mapping is for those who are looking to create extra time , energy and credit, academic, financial and social  for themselves .Interestingly most of those who ask this back out saying they do not want anything extra.
Does it work ?
Even after having quoted the numerous multi-national  companies which use mind maps they ask me this .
A mind map does not work by itself .When your brain works in creating a mind map , then a mind map is created .
I need to meet more people .


 I have searched on YouTube for mind mapping in medicine .
I do wish they First show one and then start talking about them .

Simply put :
A Mind map is a document ,
Which keeps  you in the present .
Mind mapping is an activity ,
Which unleashes your Infinite creativity ,
A mind mapper is a worker ,
Who is his own creator .

Mind mapping is Simple ,Scientific and Scintillating .
1.Simple .It is so simple that even a 6 year child can do it .There are books written by Tony Buzan on mind mapping for kids ( Three ).This is because at the age of 6 the eye-brain -hand co-ordination develops and the child is able to hold a pen and pencil.

2.Scientific .Drawing the central image helps you to focus.This activates the reticular activating system ( RAS ) in the brain which in turn activates the sensory cortex .So you are sensitized to whatever you are looking for and notice it earlier than you usually would .

3.Scintillating .Images , colour ,words and curved lines stimulate the brain which is the language of the brain .

A mind map is a document which may be compared to a city map or a route map .It is a ' Thought grabber and a great Organizer .It is often compared to a mirror as well as a multi-purpose Swiss army knife .
There is a central idea represented by an image in the center .Branching from it are other associated ideas ,each idea represented with an image and a word .Since the branches radiate ,mind mapping is also known as ' Radiant thinking .Each idea is an explosion !
The simpler the image the better .
Mind mapping has multiple benefits .
Most important is what do You want for yourself ,personally .

Goal setting is the commonest use of a mind map in business situation .

Dr. Chandrashekhar Ranade,
17-03-2017/Friday .

No comments:

Post a Comment